SABC are pleased to invite all members to enter the upcoming Winter Competition. This year we are brewing some good old English ales, befitting of the season, and also because you have to have a break from hops occasionally (some say). Once again we will be running judging day in conjunction with the AGM, which will be announced soon, and all present will be encouraged to have a go at judging. This is a way of giving those new to judging or with little experience a chance to sit alongside our more experienced judges and learn the process.
All the usual rules apply:
- Entrants agree to be bound by the conditions of entry and competition rules.
- Maximum of two entries per entrant per category.
- Each entry is to be provided in single, clean bottle, not less than 500mL in capacity, or two, clean bottles each not less than 330mL in capacity.
- Each entry is to be accompanied by an entry form attached to the bottle with a rubber band.
- Entry fees are non-refundable.
- Entries will not be returned to entrants.
- Entries must have been brewed by the entrant.
- Entries must not have been brewed on equipment that brews beer for commercial purposes.
- Organisers shall not be held responsible for loss or damage to any entry, entry form, entry fee or other materials.
- The top three places in each main category will be awarded points towards the SABC Brewer of the Year.
- The major prize of a brew day at Little Bang Brewing will be awarded to the Beer of Show.
- Closing dates for entries will be available on the entry website, which will go live not less than four weeks before the judging date.
So, without further delay, here are the categories for the competition (BJCP 2015).
- British Bitter: Categories 11A, 11B, 11C
- Pale Commonwealth Beer: Categories 12A, 12C (Note: 12B is excluded)
- Brown British Beer: Categories 13A, 13B, 13C
- Strong British Ales: Categories 17A, 17B, 17C, 17D
There’s plenty to choose from, so get brewing!