Winter competition, 2021
Winter is coming… And so is the Great SABC member winter comp.
This year we are very happy to announce that we will be collaborating with The Suburban Brew in Goodwood.
Our brewing comp will focus on all things Lager. No other beer styles are being judged.
The winning beer, along with coveted “brewer of the year” points, will also get a special limited edition version of their winning beer released exclusively on tap at The Suburban Brew later in the year.
Of course, the winning brewer will be invited to help brew their beer at Suburban.
3 – 10 July – Bottle drop off (strictly) at The Suburban Brew.
14 July – Judging. closed event with accredited judges only.
Wednesday 21 July – Winners announced and prizes, at the club meeting being held at The Suburban Brew.
Categories included for entries are (BJCP 2015 style guidelines) including sub-categories:
Two entries per category will be permitted.
- 1 Standard American Beer* excluding 1C, 1D
- 2 International Lager
- 3 Czech Lager
- 4 Malty European lager
- 5 Pale Bitter European
- 6 Amber Malty European Lager
- 7 Amber Bitter European Lager
- 8 Dark European Lager
- 9 Strong European Beer
Drop off will be between Saturday 3rd and Saturday 10th July during opening hours at The Suburban Brew, 96 Goodwood Rd, Goodwood SA 5034.
Beers will be judged on Wednesday 14th and the winners announced at the meeting on Wednesday 21st July.
Terms of entry will be included in the portal entry section which will open nearer the competition date. SABC financial club members only (join or renew now). General club competition rules also apply. Read below.
Winners – SABC Summer 2021 Competition
Table 1: Low ABV (22 entries)
|1st||Gregg Stevenson||Lager 679||Czech Pale Lager||SABC|
|2nd||Daniel Healey||Raspberry Berliner Weisse||Berliner Weisse||SABC|
|3rd||Daniel Davenport||“All Night Long” Lager||German Leichtbier||SABC|
Table 4: Hazy (14 entries)
|1st||Lachlan Johnson||Throat Cream||Hazy||SABC|
|2nd||Ali Holden||The Acronyms Are Strong Ddh Oat Cream DIPA||Hazy||SABC|
|3rd||Ali Holden||Watermelon Gose||Hazy||SABC|
General club rules
South Australian Brewing Club (“SABC”) General Competition Rules for all club competitions
- Disputes concerning any competition run by the SABC will be determined by the SABC in its sole and absolute discretion.
- Any dispute should be addressed to the Competitions Director and SABC committee.
- In order to be eligible for any prizes, an entrant must be a current financial member to enter.
- Bottle sizes: Only glass or plastic bottles or cans larger than or equal to 500ml and no greater than 1000ml will be accepted. 700ml bottles are preferred. 330ml stubby bottles or cans will not be accepted.
- Prior to the judging of entries, the Competitions Director may declare prizes available to any and all entrants.
- Prizes offered as are and cannot be exchanged for cash or same financial value.
- The Competitions Director may vary the rules applicable to any competition by declaring the variations prior to the commencement of judging.
- Entrants must declare any conflict of interest before taking part in the administration or judging of a competition.
- SABC reserves the right to cancel, postpone or modify the competition.
- All entries must be handcrafted products, containing ingredients available to the general public, and made using private equipment by hobbyist brewers.
- The competition director reserves the right to combine styles for judging and to restructure awards as needed depending upon the quantity and quality of entries received.
- All participants in a SABC Competition shall act in good faith at all times.
SABC Club Brewer of the Year competition
The 2019 Brewer of the Year is John van der Zalm.
Open to all SABC members, brewers who are awarded places at the nominated competitions in all categories will receive points. The top point scorer after the last competition will be awarded the SABC Brewer Of The Year trophy. SABC competitions now attract more points (see below).
Point scoring competitions
SABC Summer Competition – Triple Points!
SABC BeerBQ informal competition – Double Points!
SABC Winter Competition – Triple Points!
1st = 3 points.
2nd = 2 points.
3rd = 1 point.