Thankfully, SA is in a great place at the moment with COVID-19, However, a second wave is a possibility and we need to have a range of precautionary measures in place. With this comes some challenges for us and we appreciate your understanding.
Every organisation needs a COVID-19 plan and might need to show ours, especially as the Irish Club is next to the police club. We will be adhering to a high level of sanitation and safety measures.
Please read the information below, especially around the number of entries, bottle drop, visitors and bottle sizes and labelling.
Bottle drop of and sort: Saturday 11 July
- The Irish Club, Saturday 11 July 10am – 12.30pm.
- BeerBelly Brewing Supplies, Research Rd Pooraka (entries accepted until 4pm Friday 10 July)
- Bottles will be sorted, sanitised and stored overnight in the cold store at the Irish club.
Judging: Sunday 12 July
Judging: Sunday 12 July. 9am for 9.30am start.
Finish around 1pm.
Judges, stewards only on-site. Sorry, no spectators. We have a limit of 20 people.
Comp director: Gary Waters
Categories being judged
- Ale 1c, 11,12a, 12b, 18a, 23b, 23c, 24b, 24c, 25, 26
- APA/IPA. 18b , 21, 22a
- Dark 13, 14, 15a , 17, 19, 20a, 22b, 22c
- Lager 1a, 1b, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Stouts 15b, 15c, 16, 20b, 20c
- Wheat 1d, 10, 22d, 23a, 24a
- Speciality, 23d, 23e, 23f, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ,34
*Brewers are limited to 1 entry per major category and max 3 entries total.
South Australian Brewing Club (“SABC”) General Competition Rules for all club competitions
- Disputes concerning any competition run by the SABC will be determined by the SABC in its sole and absolute discretion.
- Any dispute should be addressed to the Competitions Director and SABC committee.
- In order to be eligible for any prizes, an entrant must be a current financial member at the time the results are published.
- Bottle sizes: Only glass or plastic bottles or cans larger than or equal to 500ml and no greater than 1000ml will be accepted. 700ml bottles are preferred. 330ml stubby bottles or cans will not be accepted.
- Prior to the judging of entries, the Competitions Director may declare prizes available to any and all entrants.
- Prizes offered as are and cannot be exchanged for cash or same financial value.
- The Competitions Director may vary the rules applicable to any competition by declaring the variations prior to the commencement of judging.
- Entrants must declare any conflict of interest before taking part in the administration or judging of a competition.
- SABC reserves the right to cancel, postpone or modify the competition.
- All entries must be handcrafted products, containing ingredients available to the general public, and made using private equipment by hobbyist brewers.
- The competition director reserves the right to combine styles for judging and to restructure awards as needed depending upon the quantity and quality of entries received.
- All participants in a SABC Competition shall act in good faith at all times.
SABC Club Brewer of the Year competition
The 2019 Brewer of the Year is John van der Zalm.
Open to all SABC members, brewers who are awarded places at the nominated competitions in all categories will receive points. The top point scorer after the last competition will be awarded the SABC Brewer Of The Year trophy. SABC competitions now attract more points (see below).
Point scoring competitions
SABC Summer Competition – Triple Points!
SABC BeerBQ informal competition – Double Points!
SABC Winter Competition – Triple Points!
1st = 3 points.
2nd = 2 points.
3rd = 1 point.
Summer competition 2020: Belgians
Cat 21 Belgian IPA
1 st place. Brendan Macey
2nd place. Gavin Pennell
3rd place. Ali Holden
Cat 24 Belgian Ale
1st place. Gerard Flynn
2nd place. Luke O’brien
3rd place. Christopher Kerr
Cat. 25. Strong Belgian Ale
1st place Sam Wallwork
2nd place. Luke Beard
3rd place. Nick McAuley
Cat 26 Trappist Ale
1 st place. Ben Krauth
2 nd place. Gus Kingston
3 rd place. Nick McAuley
Overall champion scores
1st place 44 points. Gerard Flynn
2nd place. 43.25. Points Ben Krauth
3rd place. 43 points. Luke O’Brien