The winners have been announced for the SABC Winter competition, 2020. See the medals in the Competitions portal and entrants can download judges scoresheets.
The best brewer of show was Wolfgang Trenkler with a Dunkels Bock.
1st Gary Waters Belguims are a bit funky 23B: Flanders Red Ale]
2nd Joel Gaskin The Rookie 11A: Ordinary Bitter SABC
3rd Chris Kerr Biere de Darke 24C: Biere de Garde
1st Joel Gaskin Scallywags Demise 18B: American Pale Ale SABC
2nd Adrian Reich Dr Keneth Noisewater 18B: American Pale Ale
3rd Ryan Campbell Columtennial Pale Ale 18B: American Pale Ale
1st Chris Marciniak The Runaway Black IPA 20A: American Porter
2nd Brenton Schoemaker B.A. 13B: English Brown Ale
3rd Gavin Pennell All Aboard 20A: American Porter
1st Wolfgang Trenkler Bock 6C: Dunkels Bock
2nd Brendan Macey No Thrills 3B: Czech Premium Pale Lager
3rd Thomas Michl Red Dog 9C: Baltic Porter
1st Nicky Thomas: Oatmeal Stout
2nd Leon van der Linden: Foreign Extra Stout
3rd Bjorn Elix Co-Brewer: Daniel Johnson: Imperial Stout
1st Luke O’Brien, Co-Brewer: Ryan Campbell & Shane Warren NEIPA
2nd Giles Hussey : Black IPA
3rd Lachlan Johnson Hazei: New England IPA
1st Luke Beard maximum stupid: hazelnut 34C: Experimental Beer
2nd Lachlan Johnson Pinage 30A: Spice, Herb, or Vege Beer
3rd Ali Holden Spontaneity No.15 34B: Mixed-Style Beer
Download medal winners as a PDF.
South Australian Brewing Club (“SABC”) General Competition Rules for all club competitions
- Disputes concerning any competition run by the SABC will be determined by the SABC in its sole and absolute discretion.
- Any dispute should be addressed to the Competitions Director and SABC committee.
- In order to be eligible for any prizes, an entrant must be a current financial member at the time the results are published.
- Bottle sizes: Only glass or plastic bottles or cans larger than or equal to 500ml and no greater than 1000ml will be accepted. 700ml bottles are preferred. 330ml stubby bottles or cans will not be accepted.
- Prior to the judging of entries, the Competitions Director may declare prizes available to any and all entrants.
- Prizes offered as are and cannot be exchanged for cash or same financial value.
- The Competitions Director may vary the rules applicable to any competition by declaring the variations prior to the commencement of judging.
- Entrants must declare any conflict of interest before taking part in the administration or judging of a competition.
- SABC reserves the right to cancel, postpone or modify the competition.
- All entries must be handcrafted products, containing ingredients available to the general public, and made using private equipment by hobbyist brewers.
- The competition director reserves the right to combine styles for judging and to restructure awards as needed depending upon the quantity and quality of entries received.
- All participants in a SABC Competition shall act in good faith at all times.
SABC Club Brewer of the Year competition
The 2019 Brewer of the Year is John van der Zalm.
Open to all SABC members, brewers who are awarded places at the nominated competitions in all categories will receive points. The top point scorer after the last competition will be awarded the SABC Brewer Of The Year trophy. SABC competitions now attract more points (see below).
Point scoring competitions
SABC Summer Competition – Triple Points!
SABC BeerBQ informal competition – Double Points!
SABC Winter Competition – Triple Points!
1st = 3 points.
2nd = 2 points.
3rd = 1 point.
Summer competition 2020: Belgians
Cat 21 Belgian IPA
1 st place. Brendan Macey
2nd place. Gavin Pennell
3rd place. Ali Holden
Cat 24 Belgian Ale
1st place. Gerard Flynn
2nd place. Luke O’brien
3rd place. Christopher Kerr
Cat. 25. Strong Belgian Ale
1st place Sam Wallwork
2nd place. Luke Beard
3rd place. Nick McAuley
Cat 26 Trappist Ale
1 st place. Ben Krauth
2 nd place. Gus Kingston
3 rd place. Nick McAuley
Overall champion scores
1st place 44 points. Gerard Flynn
2nd place. 43.25. Points Ben Krauth
3rd place. 43 points. Luke O’Brien